Saturday, July 26, 2014

MY FAVORITE COMICS - Master of Kung Fu by Doug Moench, Mike Zeck and Gene Day

Although he died a couple of years before I was born, Bruce Lee was still going strong when I was a kid and the impact he had brought to pop culture was active. Yes, the kung-fu craziness was well on its way-out but it still lingered on in things like this unusual comic book series. Most particularly, I recall Mike Zeck's artwork. Not only had he a great level of draftsmanship, he also drew amazing action sequences (i.e. fight scenes) and, most important to me, the intense facial expressions he gave to the characters. Again, as with other comics from that era that I've mentioned here, this one had that paranoic/manic feeling that seduced me so much. Also, it had that whole evil villainous father versus noble heroic son thing that kids love so much before George Lucas attached it to his world-famous movie franchise. 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home