Saturday, March 15, 2014

MY FAVORITE COMICS - Astérix

Familiarity breeds contempt. Astérix tends to prove this. At least, in my case, it does. Sometimes, some works or authors can be so ubiquituous and relliable in the quality or timeliness of their delivery, that one tends to take them for granted. In the case of Astérix, I think it's always been around me, in some form or another, to the point where sometimes I have a hard time thinking of it as a comic like any other. One of the earliest books I had featured Astérix - it wasn't one of the characters proper BD album, but an adaptation to little pre-school children in a small format. There were Asterix animated movies and toys, too. Looking back, it is the closest thing to the evil Disney empire europeans have that I can think of. So, it's easy to take it for granted just like any other massmedia discardable product... and it only got worse with time...

Still, I must concede that these were some of my favorite comics as a kid. I should add that I didn't have the Astérix books as a kid BUT my uncle and cousins did have ALL the albums! So, whenever I visited them I had the good fortune of getting to read or at the very least see these wonderful books. I'd say that along with the work of Carl Barks, these were the first comics that gave me the impression of a unique fully realized coherent world - something incredibly hard to pull off in fiction. And the apparent facility with which Goscinny and Uderzo seemed to pull it off, only enhances its effect.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Neo_Azanulbizar said...

As a belgium bd lover, Asterix is a favorite to me too... but one must also not forget other great bd characters like Spirou, Lucky Luck, Blake & Mortimer... and of course Tintin (among others...).

I understand your idea of parallelism between Asterix (Europe) and Disney (United States of America)... among other business strategies both have theme parks (I think the "Smurfs" also adopted the same business strategies to a certain degree...!). But I must say I do not see Disney as an "evil empire"... but I see some of the company politics worth of the "dark force"!!! In a way I understand all their concern and measures for protection (I think their main goal is to protect their property from copyright abuse).

I completely agree with your statement about the achievement of a "fully realized coherent world" (and, for that matter, narrative) between Uderzo/Goscinny and Carl Barks work... brilliant and sensible deduction!

What is your Asterix favorite album???

4:55 PM  
Blogger Neo_Azanulbizar said...

As a belgium bd lover, Asterix is a favorite to me too... but one must also not forget other great bd characters like Spirou, Lucky Luck, Blake & Mortimer... and of course Tintin (among others...).

I understand your idea of parallelism between Asterix (Europe) and Disney (United States of America)... among other business strategies both have theme parks (I think the "Smurfs" also adopted the same business strategies to a certain degree...!). But I must say I do not see Disney as an "evil empire"... but I see some of the company politics worth of the "dark force"!!! In a way I understand all their concern and measures for protection (I think their main goal is to protect their property from copyright abuse).

I completely agree with your statement about the achievement of a "fully realized coherent world" (and, for that matter, narrative) between Uderzo/Goscinny and Carl Barks work... brilliant and sensible deduction!

What is your Asterix favorite album???

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home