Saturday, August 15, 2015

MY FAVORITE COMICS - By This Shall You Know Him


 I confess: I am a fan of History Channel's Ancient Aliens series. Not just that series specifically. I always make an effort to watch almost any documentary or read anything about UFOs, aliens, ancient astronauts and even tangentially related things like cryptozoology or paranormal phenomena. You see, I was around during the UFO craze of the late 1970's. My mom was a huge fan of the theme (and a believer, I suspect) so I was surrounded with photo magazines, books and comics about UFOs and the ancient astronauts theory from a very tender age. I read books by authors/investigators on this subject. I am a huge fan of Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I wached E.T. at the cinema when it was first released. I never missed an episode of Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World on t.v.  I love Jack Kirby's Eternals. Now, I have never seen UFOs, aliens or any paranormal stuff ( that I know of ) in the real world, nor can I really say I believe in these tales, but this whole mythology is in my DNA. I love it and I find it an incredible fountain of inspiration.

With all of this explained, it's fair to say this comic catched my interest from the get-go. Nevertheless, what makes it one of my favorites is the incredible combination of the theme, which as I just refered is a personal preference, with Jesse Jacobs amazing cartooning talent. Here's someone who, behind an apparently simple, cartoony, almost doodle-like style, creates a refreshing take on ancient themes, ideas and questions to the point where it almost looks like this is something new and different. With this book, Jesse Jacobs made me a fan of his work. "By this shall you know him", indeed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home